Home News Features Games Authoring Community Forums About Contact

April 17, 2014, 04:38:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SLUDGE 2.0 is released  (Read 4561 times)
Trumgottist
Musician
Longtime Member

« on: December 31, 2010, 08:51:17 AM »

In February 2008, Tim Furnish released the source code to his adventure game creation toolset, and since then I and others have worked on it to get it to where it is today. SLUDGE is now leaving beta status as we release version 2.0 of both the engine and development kit. Downloads for Windows, Mac and Linux are at the SLUDGE Web Site. We're once again in a state of no known bugs. (The bug count can even be said to be negative, as I've also worked around a bug in the ATI drivers for some older cards on Windows.)

This is what's changed since the last beta version:
  • The Documentation has been updated, and should now be completely current.
  • Engine bugfix (Windows): The engine would hang if the windows key was pressed while in full screen mode.
  • Windows engine: Worked around a bug in ATI drivers for older cards that would crash.
  • Engine: Fixed a bug that could cause hardScroll() to malfunction.
  • Dev Kit: Fixed creation of new projects to hide mouse cursor properly.
  • Windows engine: Fixed an issue with the startup if the DPI setting is unusual.
And for the Mac version of the Development Kit:
  • Added "New Script File" to the Tools menu.
  • Re-worked how projects are treated. You may note that the items in the project menu aren't greyed out as much anymore. When creating a new script or translations, the dev kit also offers to add it automatically to the current project.
And for the GTK version of the Development Kit (Linux and Windows):
  • Windows installer added.
  • Bugfix: Allow for cut-off points larger than the scene height.
  • Translation editor: Allow for searching in strings.

As this is the first non-beta release of the new SLUDGE, I probably should also add a few lines on what's happened since the previous official release: SLUDGE 1.7. The biggest change is that it's no longer a Windows-only thing. Both engine and development kit now runs on Mac, Windows and Linux. The other big thing is that the graphics code is re-written. The graphics are now hardware-accelerated and use full 32-bit colour and alpha channels. If you have a game written with SLUDGE 1, this thread has the information you need to upgrade.

Finally, I want to add some thanks. I could not have not done this alone. Double thanks to Tim Furnish for creating this adventure game engine, and then letting us improve it. Thanks to Tobias Hansen who have done all work on the Linux side of things, and have made the development kit work on Linux and Windows. He's also the one responsible for the new SLUDGE web site. Thanks to Erwin Broekhuis who made new icons for SLUDGE, and to Charlie Wolf who helped me get the updated engine running on Windows again after I had ported it to Mac. And thanks to anyone who has submitted a bug report.

That's it. Enjoy! But the release of 2.0 does not mean that development of SLUDGE stops. Should you find a bug, please let us know and we'll fix it as soon as possible. Personally, I've not quite given up on the idea to make another game with it, so I'm sure I'll find additional things to change while I'm making the game. And ideas for things to change or features to add are always welcome to post in this forum.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 09:52:24 AM by Trumgottist » Logged

"Programming is the computer game that makes all others possible." - Ron Newcomb
BigMc
SLUDGE Linux/GTK+ Maintainer

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:14:40 AM »

Thank you for all the work you put into this Rikard! And also, congratulations! Smiley Let's hope for many more games to be made with SLUDGE! I'll update the website now.
ad7venture
Longtime Member

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »

Nice work.  It's good to see these cross platform solutions coming about. 
Kickaha
Longtime Member

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 05:35:49 PM »

Well done all! 

Kieran Millar

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »

Hooray! Good job!
Isxek

Damn cat woke me up

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »

Congrats, Trumgottist. Very nice to see SLUDGE getting around again, and available for users in non-Windows platforms as well.

I'd love to see new SLUDGE games in the near future. Smiley
kjp

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »

Thanks Trumgottist!
Looks like a huge piece of work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: